Here our professional copywriters share their tips for those interested in DIY copywriting … and a back-up strategy if it doesn’t all go to plan!
- Write in a word document, or something that will pick up on basic spelling and grammar issues. There is nothing more unprofessional than marketing material with obvious and embarrassing mistakes.
- Look at it with fresh eyes. Step away from what you have written, go and do something else, even leave it overnight. When you come back to it, you will be able to see things you might have missed earlier.
- Read it out loud, to get an idea of what’s working and what’s not. Your copy should flow – word to word, sentence to sentence, paragraph to paragraph. Reading your copy out loud will allow you to iron out any bumps.
- Have someone else read it. Once you become attached to your copy, every word is golden. Getting someone else to look over it means gaining insight into your reader. Remember it’s not about you and put their constructive criticism to work.
- Hire a professional. The content in your media or marketing kit, the words on your website, should convey a sense of professionalism and credibility to readers. Hire someone who can make your words work for you.
Jagged Edge Communications specialises in SEO website copywriting. Our SEO website copywriting service offering is delivered by a marketing and communications professional, with a background in journalism and a solid understanding of search engine optimisation. For more information, click here.